Alphonse Mucha´s masterpiece Slav Epic in its biggest detail

LPHONSE MUCHA´S MASTERPIECE
LPHONSE MUCHA´S MASTERPIECE
LPHONSE MUCHA´S MASTERPIECE
LPHONSE MUCHA´S MASTERPIECE
LPHONSE MUCHA´S MASTERPIECE
LPHONSE MUCHA´S MASTERPIECE
LPHONSE MUCHA´S MASTERPIECE
LPHONSE MUCHA´S MASTERPIECE
LPHONSE MUCHA´S MASTERPIECE
LPHONSE MUCHA´S MASTERPIECE
LPHONSE MUCHA´S MASTERPIECE
LPHONSE MUCHA´S MASTERPIECE
LPHONSE MUCHA´S MASTERPIECE

Large-format photography of the work and messages of Alphonse Mucha’s The Slav Epic

In 2017, famous art collection The Slav Epic was digitised by photographer Jan William Drnek - an expert in large-format high-resolution photography. The result of this unique project is the high-fidelity reproduction of the famous Czech artwork, with every detail captured.

As a direct result of the photographic documentation, the next logical step was to publish the unrivalled work into an exclusive book. The colour and light fidelity to the canvases, combined with unique print technology results in an unequalled one-of-a-kind publication. The large-format book allows the reader to study the smallest details of Mucha’s work and presents The Slav Epic in a never-before-seen form.

Mucha

Large-format photography of the work and messages of Alphonse Mucha’s The Slav Epic

  • More than 20,000 images were processed.
  • one image had to be captured with 150 to 250, sometimes up to 350, shots.
  • Data from one 810 x 610 centimetre image used more than 60 GB of computer memory.
  • The twenty images cover a total area of 650 square meters.
  • EACH PAINTING IS DIGITIZED TO ONE-TO-ONE RATIO.
  • IT took Alphonse Mucha nearly two decades to complete PAINTINGS. digitALIsation TOOK only two years.
  • THE DIGITALISTATION WAS FINISHED ALMOST AFTER 100 YEARS WHEN MUCHA FINISHED PAINTING THE COLLECTION.

Find out more information about this challenging photoshoot in an interview with Jan William Drnek and team from Fomei.

limited edition of the first and only work of its kind in the world

EPOS – THE BOOK AND ITS ARTIFACTS

EPOS – THE BOOK AND ITS ARTIFACTS

The Book

The colour and light fidelity to the canvases, coupled with unique printing technology, results in a one-of-a-kind book.

The size of an open double page replicates the size of the largest canvases from The Slav Epic - 610 × 810 cm.
A large-format book bound by hand.

The book consists of 336 pages, 80% of which depict the digitised canvases of The Slav Epic. The remaining 20% of the pages are devoted to informative, technical and supplementary texts.

A strictly limited production of only 200 books published. The buyer can choose both the number and language, either English or Czech, of their book.

Discover more information about the book concept and design.

Mucha

Artifacts

Jewel

The piece of gilded silver jewellery is the design of Alphonse Mucha’s grand daughter - Jarmila Mucha Plocková.

See how the jewel was designed and made.

Jewel

Stones

The stones, present throughout history, are thematically linked to locations that appear on The Slav Epic canvases.

Would you like to know more about the meaning of these artifacts? See the video about stones included in the epos.

Stones

Certificate

The Certificate of Authenticity, signed by the author, the project's patron, and the CEO of Albatros Media, incorporates fine wood fibres from the lime under which, according to legend, Jan Hus preached.

Look what is important to consider to make handmade certificate.

Certificate

Magnifying glass

A professional magnifying glass with high quality optics allows you to view the canvases in a 1:1 life-size ratio.

Why is the magnifying glass important in this project? Find out in the video.

Magnifying glass

Case

The book is housed in a refined case, that not only protects the book and its contents, but also functions as a stand to showcase the precious publication and its accompanying artefacts.

Find out more story about this case.

Case

More details from behind the scenes
in this short video

Would like to get more information or purchase the book? Please, contact us.

EPOS and digitalisation of the slav epic IN MEDIA